Beinfeld Show

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Does a sporting arms (custom guns), antique arms, and custom knifemakers show in Las Vegas during the first week of January create much interest from our engravers society? As does the Safari Club show in Reno, Beinfelds show brings custom knife and firearms craftsmen from the far reaches of our world to display their goods. Do many of our engravers pass out cards to these people who are always seeking quality engraving? If not, why the heck not?:D :D

P.S. If you don't blow your horn, can you get Sam to blow it for you?;)

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The Safari club show, at least this year is held the same time the FEGA show is right down the street. I'd go out on a limb and say that the majority of folks interested in engraving will be at the FEGA show rather than Safari for a couple of reasons.

FEGA is open to the public no membership necessary, the focus is of course on engraving, and the admission fee is cheap at $20.00. The Safari club show is a members only and rediculously expensive. It is difficult to see both shows adequately even if you were a member I might add.

Besides all that having another firearms/engravers show the same season almost back to back would be difficult for people to attend in great numbers as artisans due to the time off they would have to take to be there. I wish there were something like the FEGA show in the summertime in Atlanta. There's my two cents worth...:)

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Tim,
The Safari club show costs $250.00 for four days Wed thru Sat plus $75.00 annual membership. I have attended both fega and the Safari club show for several years. I am a hunter so the Safari club show is candy to my eyes, but not only my eyes. When I'm there I see the professional engravers from fega there as well ie: Sam Welch, Lee Griffith, Eric Gold, Lisa Tomlin, Rachel Wells, Bill Gambrandt, etc. These are engravers who are backlogged, but still feel the Safari club show is important.
I'm not pitching sales for the Safari club, instead potential work for engravers. If you think about advertising costs for you engraving exposure, going to the Safari club show does not seem that costly (at least I think).
The Safari club show is a show for the serious money spenders. Tire kickers don't go there because of the costs. On Sat and Sun the fega and firearms show gets so many tire kickers that you can hardly talk to the displayers (at least I think). This is just an old mans thoughts.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Glenn,
I guess I don't understand your question. Are you talking about going through the SCI show or exhibiting at it as well as others? The booth cost for SCI is VERY pricey. Yes, we have some FEGA members that do "double duty" that weekend. Many work in conjunction with a rifle maker and that's why they attend. For the most part, the SCI members interested in engraving attend the FEGA show on Saturday or Sunday. Yes, Saturday is a busy day but most of the "tire kickers" are fellow FEGA members that have come to the show. This is where they come to see and learn. It would nice if more could schedule so they are there for all of Friday through the seminars on Monday. They would get more from it. As far as the SCI show, it is my opinion that probably 95% of the members are interested in the hunt and other toys and don't have much interest in "fancy" guns. The other 5% have a true love and will attend our show.
Now.., I will say that if you have the time and money, going to the SCI show before the FEGA show is quite and experience. You'll see gunmakers from all over the world and most of them have pulled out the stops for this show. Shows like the Beinfeld show has its merits too but usually most of those cater to "collectors" of older custom and factory guns. Most of them aren't interested in commissioning a custom gun or engraving project. As with any show, there is a mix of people and one engraver may do very well at this type of show and another may not do anything. Advertising has always been hard to figure out the best money spent.

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Rex,
I was not proposing getting a table at any of the shows. Walk through only. I am at best a mediocre engraver. I have taken samples to the SCI show and many gun manufacturers have ask me to consider doing engraving for them. Advertising is expensive and getting to the right people is the key. People at the SCI show have money and want to spend it. The market is there.
I know your engraving Rex and I know that you could totally fill your backlog for gun engraving as I'm sure many of this forum could do.
This was only some thoughts I had and hoped it would stimulate some thinking by engravers looking for work. I don't do engraving for others so my dog aint in this fight!:D

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes, these shows are sure worth going through for sure. Just for inspiration if anything. Having a few business cards on you doesn't hurt either. You must be careful at some shows however. Many shows (ACGG/FEGA Show being one) don't allow "freelancing". Having examples for critique is fine but going in with a portfolio in hand to drum up business is frowned upon at many shows.