engravers vs. knifemakers/gunmakers

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
I have two questions to ask opinions on. The premise here is that the skill levels of both engravers and craftsmen are equal:
1) Are there more knifemakers that engravers to engrave the knives or are there more engravers than knifemakers?
2) Are there more gunmakers than engravers to engrave the guns or are there more engravers than gunmakers?:confused:

William Grubb

Elite Cafe Member
Some what of a perplexing question, but I would think more engravers than gun makers,and more knife makers than engravers. Would be interesting to actually see a poll on this.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here in the States I think the engravers probably out number the gun makers if you are only considering those who truly make their own guns ..... not the guys who customize and build from premade factory parts.

However, the handmade knife market is a different story. The knifemakers FAR FAR FAR outnumber us engravers. If given a few days to make the list I could come up with several hundred maybe a couple thousand knifemakers and several dozen maybe a few hundred engravers. :eek:

Ray

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
As an engraver, its good to know there are many more people that build knives than engrave them, that means there should be a good market for engraving those knives. My question is what is the best way for a good, but unproven, engraver to get the word out to these knife makers, who I would assume, are in need of quality engraving.

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Brian,
Three things that come to mind:
1)The knifemakers guild publishes a list of its members.
2)There is an anual knivemakers book published each year.
3)There is also the big show in Florida in July or August 2007.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Engravers, knifemakers & such

Put together a resume of practice plates and walk the floor of the big shows.
The Knifemakers Guild show, the Blade show east, west, or any show that those makers frequent. Trading work for knives that sell well can be a way to get into the venue that we knifemakers enjoy. Most makers that I know are very trusting people and a joy to do business with. Dont be shy we want to meet you because some of us have a desire to be engravers, we just dont have the time. A list of names and show dates can be found on these webb addresses. www.knifemakersguild.com and www.floridaknifemakers.org. many that I haven't listed are out there, I love this life and Im glad you are in it. Jack Davenport.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Before walking a show as a work-seeking engraver, you might want to check with the show promoter first. Some shows, including the Knifemakers Guild Show, prohibit this and want you to become a member and/or buy a table or pay a table fee. This can be very expensive depending on the show.

knife shows engravers

Yes Sam: Sometimes I go to fast, you are right, good subject for a brand new director to the Guild, after reading your response to my post I decided now is the time to poll the rest of the directors on this subject, I like the idea of the new engravers being able to talk directly to the table holding makers at the Guild show without having to get a table. Would you give me a call I need your input on this? Jack Davenport. 352-424-2567 Thanks again for this forum.

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
What a great dialog with Jack and Sam. I hope engravers of this forum take the oportunity to read and participate in this dicussion. Kifemakers and engravers can only help each other profit by doing business with each other.

Florida Knifemakers show

After talking with Sam about showing practice plates and talking to makers about trading work for knives, knives for work or just selling your work, I communicated with the officers of the Florida Knifemakers Association about this issue. I speak as the Vice President of this organization and I have been authorized to speak for the President and the Secretary and treasurer, we extend an invitation to all engravers who want to come to our show with examples of your work, to come, you are welcome no cost to you. I will post the date of the show in a latter post. our show is a one day show at the comfort Inn at I-275 and Bush blvd. close to Bush Gardens in Tampa Fla.
Ps. I am also working on this with the Knifemakers Guild, wish me luck. Jack Davenport.

Don Cowles

Elite Cafe Member
Jim Small has engraved a ton of my knives. Others that I have made have been engraved by Joe Mason, Julie Warenski, Simon Lytton, Tim Herman, and others. If you are looking for a knife to engrave, feel free to visit my web site to see what I currently have on hand, and give me a call- we can talk about it.

www.cowlesknives.com

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Jack and Don,
Wonderful way to get a valuable ball rolling. Any of us engravers wanting to do some work that will get great exposure, here is a chance offered on a golden platter.
Sam your cafe has done it again.:D

Latest posts

Sponsors