Hobo Nickles

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
I would also like a tutorial on hobo nickles. I just bought 2 rolls of Jefferson half face nickles for engraving. Besides spending, I would like to use some of these as canvases. Thanks in advance for the tutorial.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Steve Adams sight is one of the best for hobo nickel carving info

http://www.sga-sculpture-engraving.com/Pages/hobonickelcarving.html#

Other than that the only real thing is give it a go and have fun. I don't carve in Steve's way (as he has access to tooling, etc that most engravers would love to get their hands on), but try to use my gun engraving skills as best I can.

have fun and get carving!
Marcus

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
I agree with Marcus, look at the steps Steve takes in carving a hobo nickel and start carving, after you carve a few, you,ll develop your own style of carving..also as you get more into carving coins you,ll probably make a few tools that will fit your style of carving. as a example of making your own tools i,m working on a hobo nickel that required a very small graver, so i make a graver out of a very small sewing needle inserted into a wooden dowel..

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Yes, you can use any coin, but most collectors want a buffalo nickel as the host coin, i,ve carved pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, halves, silver dollars and a $20 gold piece, all u.s. coins, i,m not sure there is a big market for carved foreign coins, you can always practice on coins you have on hand and buy some buffalo nickels on ebay for future carvings ..[ps] the carved coin i use on my profile picture was carved on a 1921 silver dollar..

Sponsors