Gold plating

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
In the engraving world, I don't seem to read or hear much about gold plating. Is this much of a factor? It would be good to get some input from members who have had experience with this process.

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Big subject. Like if you have to engrave something that has triple plating,
and you need to watch for pieces of plating falling off the item? O's, A's etc.

Or general plating. The way plate sometimes only hits the high spots, and
you have to use a spot plating to get the rest? Using nail polish to mask
what you don't plated?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
As a rule I don't engrave plated objects because they can't be repaired, deburred, etc.

As for plating itself, I've done a ton of it, both gold and silver. It's relatively easy to do, but requires some investment in equipment and solutions. My advice is unless you need to plate a lot, let someone else do it. There are also inexpensive pen platers which seem to work fairly well. I have no experience with them, but I've seen them demonstrated at shows. / ~Sam

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This was my first dabbling at plating a gun 26 years ago, oh my God I was only 23 years old that scary. Time sure flies when you’re having fun. Anyway I second what Sam says. The actual plating is quite elementary, It's the prep work were the skill comes into play. If the item is not prepped properly 100% properly the plating will fail. I never did another gun except for small parts then and again. The trigger, cylinder rod, and shell extractor button is gold the rest is nickel and blued. I had gold plated the cylinder but the blast kept blowing off the gold on the front of it so I nickeled it.
Mike

Attachments

• abilene frnt.jpg
    abilene frnt.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 78
  • abilene side.jpg
    abilene side.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 89

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the pics Mike. When you said the blast kept blowing off the gold did it actually remove the plating or did it discolor? If it removed the gold, why would the nickle stay on?

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Glen.
Gold is softer than nickle and is easily erroded by powder blast and super hot gasses.
It's also a good idea not to put inlaid barrel or cylinder band too close to the end for the same reason.
Hope his helps.
John B.

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
John,
That's why you get the big bucks! I didn't even think about the heat. Thanks, I'll buy you the drink of your choice in Reno.

Mick

Plating can be very frustrating. Some metals require a copper or nickle base before they will accept gold or rhodium. Also make sure everything is polished to the finish you desire as the plating does not fill imperfections in fact in some cases it will make them more prominent. As the plating is litteraly microns thick, heat and daily were can wear down the finish. The main thing when you plate is CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN! Once you have soniced and steamed the item do not touch as oils from your fingers can act as a resist and make a lousey looking job.

Latest posts

Sponsors