Gravermeister question

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
So against my better judgement I bought the upgrade kit for my old meister and a 915 hand piece. After I got all the new parts installed I flipped the switch an made a few passes with the new hand piece.. Clouds parted an angels started to sing! It felt so much better than the old standard one did, then my problem started.. Within ten minutes it started to get warm. Fifteen minutes in it got HOT! At around 25 minutes it was so hot I almost couldn't touch it! I don't have a laser temp gauge but I know it was hotter than 100 degrees... Maybe 140ish. I called grs an they gave me a few tips to try an I did that and I can't really see that much of a difference.

This happened to any of you guys?

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
years ago i had a contract for some very crude production work (the smokin' blue chips were flying!) and my old Gravermeister handpiece would get uncomfortably hot. i just wrapped it in athletic tape and kept the pedal to the metal- literally. the tape also kept my sweaty hand from slipping. the work was beyond terrible, but paid pretty darn well...

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
That's not a bad idea. I was going to cut the fingers out of a soft thin pair of welding gloves I have.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I'd give GRS a call and ask them. I know they get warm (or hot) but I don't know how hot.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
:no::beatup::no:
You're kidding me, RIGHT!!?
Call GRS and get a return authorization number!

OR, FIND AN OLD STASH OF ASBESTOS AND WRAP THE HANDLE IN IT!!!

All kidding aside, if the temperature gauge keeps red lining on your brand new truck are you just going to keep adding more antifreeze?

Trying to engrave with welder's gloves was a joke, RIGHT?

:mad: Jeff

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
I called them the day after it happened. I will call them back in a few minutes to tell them the tips didn't really work an see what they say.
An it was no joke. Leather on my MIG gloves are not much thicker than the t shirt I'm wearing. I figure if I cut the fingers out an just have the palm left that would help. Always have a plan B.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Beledran

I contacted GRS and spoke with Josh. He will be contacting you to straighten this out.

KEEP US UPDATED!

Jeff

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, I run a Gravermeister and it heats up some,all compressors or vacuum pumps heat up during use. Its normal to a point. My gravermeister pump heats up and gets hot enough to be a bit too warm to lay your hand on for any length of time and the hand piece heats up just a bit but not too warm to use.

Compress air and you get heat, with the Gravermeister that heat is right next to where you work. Try and put your hand on a regular compressor head after it has run a while you will see what I mean.

I have a small fan directed at the pump side of the Gravermeister and that at least directs the heat away from my work area. Keeps it a bit cooler as well.

scott99

scott99

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
That was quick! Josh called me and gave me a RA number for the whole machine so they can play with it. Boy I love good service :) I'm so use to getting the shaft I just kinda expect it.

Guess my welding gloves can breath a sigh of relief lol

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I upgraded my old mister when they first came out with the upgrade. Had the same issues. wrapped the headpiece with vet wrap. worked great for me for at least 10 years of daily use. Had to do a rewrap once in a while but had no mechanical failure type issues. Mine is a 79 model and still going strong whenever I need it. Make sure your wrap job does not interfere with adjustability-Fred

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
well i got her all boxed up ready to ship out for inspection. fingers crossed this is easy fix

rhenrichs

Elite Cafe Member
I have a old Meister that I upgraded with a the high speed valve and a 915 hand piece and I too had a terrible over heating problem with the hand piece.....nothing I could do would solve the problem....I finally fixed the problem by putting a new low speed valve back on the Meister and then I retired the Meister with a new pneumatic tool.....I still have the Meister and I would like to know if GRS is able to fix the problem for you.....

Roger

Last edited:

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
I will keep everyone updated. I found another guy with the same problem on the Handengraving forum

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
my gravermeister is so old, the smithsonian has asked me to donate it. i told them i'll gladly donate the unit if it ever quits working ! never did the upgrade as mentioned. then again- never had a need to do that..

hiloboy

I had the same problem when I changed to the upgrade..called GRS and someone there told me to drill some holes in the cup in the back of the Meistersinger the cup with one hole in it. On the bottom I put 6 more holes around the one that was there same size .and for me that took away the heat from my hand piece..I don't know if they have another fix.. But what they told me fix the problem of heat I was having.

guzzi

The problem is the pressure relief valve is set too high, should be around 3-1/2 psi. It will still run warm but will be some relief to your situation. Drilling extra holes in the pressure relief can will also help as well.

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
Just got off the phone with GRS. Said the pressure was way to high about three times what it should have been. They got me all fixed up no charge other than shipping :)
They said after two hours of use it was about body temp an that's it!

Sponsors