English scrolls.

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
When cutting English scrolls there are little squigglies that embelish the outside scrolls. How do you cut these without leaveing a burr at the large end of the squiggly?Maybe I've stated my question wrong, but I know most of the people who participate in this forum will know what I'm talking about. Thanks

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Glenn: The graver is snapped out quickly at the end of the cut, and this breaks off the bur. You may find this difficult if you're not used to doing it, but it'll come with practice. Depending on the depth of the cut, it could be a gentle snap of the wrist for a fine line to a very powerful snap where your right hand moves a foot or more for a deep cut. / ~Sam

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The term we English engravers use for the 'squiggles' on the outside of scrolls is 'outside work', conversely the stuff inside a scroll is 'inside work', easy eh?

The thing that a lot of engravers get wrong when cutting English scroll is the fact that the outside work is a balancer. It isn't just a squiggle it's an important part of the scroll. It actually grows from the scroll just as another scroll would i.e. in the oposite direction. (Some engravers who don't understand this principal just use a squiggle which is wrong.) It finishes the scrollwork correctly and softens the hard edges and, for example, it allows panels of scroll to be built up. When used with a negative space element and bouquets of flowers you end up with timeless designs such as the Purdey '60'.

Remember, outside work doesn't just apply to fine/small scroll, English large scroll uses it too.

cheers,
Marcus

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Sam and Marcus. Do you have any pictures that would show your work?
Marcus, I would love to see a couple of pictures showing how the outside work grows from both small and large scrolls.

Latest posts

Sponsors