Microscope Usage Should You Invest ?

William Grubb

Elite Cafe Member
When I first started engraving I used optivisers , and if your not real serious
about engraving these are fine, but I was getting so much eye strain I thought I was going to go blind. Then I took a class at GRS, and was able to use the microscope what a difference ! I've owned my microscope for about three years I guess. No more eye strain ,the quality of engraving went up 1000% and for anyone new to engraving ,or has not had the opportunity to use a microscope I for one ,and I'm shure most would agree the microscope
is worth every penny you spend on them. If you decide to purchase one do some investigating first . I bought mine from the GRS company , they are several out on the market. The type of stand is also important, as well as lenses , lighting,ect.. Bottom line to me, if your going to engrave ,it is well worth the money spent.:rolleyes:

Jon C. Dake

I am sure that everyone who uses a microscope will second your comments. I am still learning to engrave and bought one about 6 months ago. When I was contemplating the purchase I posed a question on one of the forums as to whether or not I needed one and someone responded that it would make me a better engraver now, rather than two years from now. Boy, did he know what he was talking about. I purchased one from the Microscope Store and It improved my engraving by a large factor, immediately. I no longer cut unless I am looking through my microscope.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
When working close (without a microscope) the eyes must do two things: converge and focus, and this leads to eye strain and headaches. When using a microscope your eyes are not converged and are focused at infinity (relaxed). A microscope not only relieves and/or eliminates eye strain, it allows an engraver to do things which are impossible to do by naked eye or low power visors. / ~Sam

Jude

J.C.
Thanks for the very useful info. After the first of the year I will be buying a
3rd scope for the shop and I will now seriously consider an RZ. I had planned on buying an Ebay $600 deal for my son's bench, but knowing that the RZ can take a camera attachment, I may upgrade my scope and give him my EMZ.
Jude

Mick

I bought a scope after taking a class. Use it not only for engraving but setting, delicate wax carving and a host of other things. My thought is I should have purchased one 15...no 25..Ok, Ok 35 years ago!

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi,
The first of this year I knew I wanted a second scope to use for setting.
I had bought a Meji EMZ with old style base from GRS. I happen to like the
old base for engraving. I can lean on it and doesn't move.
For setting, I wanted the New acrobat base from GRS so that I could fold it
away when I didn't need it. Nice feature is that it can be brought into focus just by moving the arm. Also when using a ring holder with an extension,
I can swoop the scope over the edge of the bench.
I gritted my teeth thinking about having to spend $1800.00 for the set up.
You know that goes, when you want it, you want it.
I had ordered the unit form Armstrong Tool in Michigan, and put down a $1000.00
When I went to pick it up I got the final bill of around $1100.00 What's up with this?
They had sold me the Acrobat for GRS but the scope was from Otto Frye.
It also came with a ring lamp included. I been using them both, and the Meji is
slightly better optically but not much.
I have a third that was made in Russia, I would suggest that you don't consider it.
Looks like it was made in shop class. It does have a optical comparator grid lens.
A single glance will tell you if the jewellery is straight. That's exactly what
I use it for.

Jim

Jim

Latest posts

Sponsors