Really odd engraving

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
that is pretty remarkable. i'd like to see one of these under a microscope. It's pretty much impossible (for me) to tell how it was done by the photo. I'm guessing it was scratched with a point and not engraved as we know engraving, but this is just a semi-educated hunch. / ~Sam

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I saw some amazing stuff in Spain a few years ago where the artist made microscopic sculptures the size of pin heads. It really was mind boggling, and apparently the sculptor (sorry, can't remember his name) had to learn breath control because breathing at the wrong moment could cause a hand tremble that could ruin hours of work.

If this pin head is for real it's amazing but unless he was 'The Six Million Dollar Man' I don't know how anyone's eyes could focus, let alone hand cut, on something so tiny. He must've had some sort of magnification surely???

cheers,
Marcus

William Grubb

Elite Cafe Member
It's hard to believe someone could do that engraving without the use of a microscope,but ..... there is some pretty amazing people in the world.

Andrew Biggs

No Way.................I put a pin head under the microscope last night to maximum zoom and wouldn't even attempt it. 500 magnification!!!!! mmmmmmm........................

Cheers
Andrew Biggs

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's pretty hard to believe. If it's true it had to be an oversize pin. It kind of looks like he etch it instead of engraved it.
Mike

It would br easier to cover the head of the pin with a fix then scratch the text out with a small-small scribe then etch with some etchant, aqua regia or something that would etch gold, although the text itself seems to be polished, so maybe he did a reverse etch, in other words removed the background then etched the background. Some of the earlier Mausers had very detailed etchings that were just amazing. Talking about the Argentinas

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
years ago the head of a pin was done by a machinist using a gorton pantograph. he hand cut the lords prayer i think in plastic for the template. the gorton machine was used by die makers and the like. the prayer was engraved at the ratio of 1:100. i read of this years ago in the engravers journal.

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
I've seen this in the Gorton manual, one of their show-off pieces. Gorton made some incredible machinery, fully capable of that kind of work. I do not think it humanly possible to cut that small by hand.

Doubting Thomas

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
I don't think it is possible without devine guidance. If it sounds impossible, it usually is. Are those raised letters instead of recessed? I don't see a guy in prison accomplishing this, especially given the year and what would be available. Any of you guys with high powered microscopes and a steady hand think you could do this? Already mentioned was the Gorton pantograph that did it, that is docunmented, but come on, by hand? You could do that couldn't you Sam?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
remember the gorton pantograph routine was one not really requiring much in the way of engraving skill as most of you use the term skill. this was done by dragging ( very carefully) a plunger operated stylus into grooves in the master template. the grooves were in the form of the design ( the lords' prayer text) in this case. 2 critical requirements of this job- uniform pressure used to depress the stylus and move it around the grooves. 2 absolutely no stylus "jump" out of the groove, or the job is toast. this info could probably be obtained from the folks at the engravers journal. it's a monthly for panto and pc engravers.

Dmitry Martinov

Elite Cafe Member
:( guys what was on this website ? The link which Don Cowles gave not working.
Here is the link for russian microminiaturist, he is not actually engraver but some staff is engraved and incrustated. I think you will be pleased to see this. http://www.aniskin.ru/en

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors