Celtic Engraving

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi guys

Here's a recent rifle that the client wanted engraved with a celtic theme. Not my favourite style on firearms I'm affraid but what the customer wants the customer gets. Anyway, the springbok was fun to do and didn't turn out too badly as were the zoomorphics.

If anyone's interested in the construction of celtic knotwork this site really simplifies it well, it's a shame the flash goes a bit too quick in the more advanced tutorial. http://www.abbott.demon.co.uk/mercatmethod.html

cheers,
Marcus

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Not only is celtic work difficult to lay out (for me, anyway), but can be very unforgiving. I have some books on celtic design, but I've always been a bit intimidated by it. There simply isn't room for error on symmetrical designs, and you've handed it very well. You have the ideal balance of foreground-to-black background. Was the background lowered or textured?

Of course springbok inlay looks great too!

Thanks for sharing this, Marcus. / ~Sam

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
yes, I took the background away so there was some relief to the strapwork. Like you say, it really is unforgiving. It looks so simple, after all it's only a strap wending it's way into a pattern but it takes ages to layout and cut. I really dislike doing it :( even though I love seeing celtic stuff.

Marcus

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcus you did an excellent job. I especially like the cap.
I did an engagement ring with that same type of strap work down the sides about 4mm wide. It was mesmerizing after a while. I'm just glad they don't need the bands until May.
Mike

pierre

Elite Cafe Member
mister Marcus, thank you for the internet adress i go to see it immediately perhaps that it help me in my engraving work.:D .

I like particulary the second picture

Sincerly yours

pierre

Elite Cafe Member
I quickly take a picture on the gun that i work on

Attachments

• P1030436.jpg
    P1030436.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 204
  • P1030495.jpg
    P1030495.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 172
  • P1040037.JPG
    P1040037.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 198
  • P1010749.jpg
    P1010749.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 149

Andrew Biggs

Hi Marcus

Beautiful work. Maybe that's what makes engraving so much fun is that you arn't always restricted to the same style of work every day. That knot work is a challenge just to get your head around it.

Peirre

Very nice work indeed. I really like the gold work

Cheers
Andrew

ron p. nott

Elite Cafe Member
hi pierre.. thanks for showing your work , that is just a great celtic engraving job .. ron p.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcus: Great job, but I gotta ask, because I too particularly like the design on the cap. Is that out of your head, or is it a pre-concieved idea and symbolic of something? I don't know too much about celtic designing. Never tried it, but it kind of gets my brain all twisted up.........................................................More than usual, that is.
Ron S

Jim Small

Marcus....
I too love the Celtic designs. Most are very confusing to draw and engrave. When I do some Celtic "stuff"
it usually gives me an excuse to take a few days off.
Very nice work and as usual very well designed.
I finished the knife below a few months back and imediately upon finishing went trout fishing.
Jim

sdcoxx

Elite Cafe Member
All the celtic engravings are great.
The how to draw celtic designs link is in my favorites for later use.
Thanks, Stephen

Latest posts

Sponsors